Monday, May 5, 2008

If I Had a Million Dollars . . .




David and I had an adventure Sunday. Ed Wilsey, owner of Medallion Plastics and David's fishing buddy, is a pilot and he owns a helicopter. He called us up Sunday morning and asked if we wanted to go flying! We flew from the Elkhart airport up into Michigan, flying north over Edwardsburg, then Jones, then east to Three Rivers and Sturgis, looking at all the lakes along the way. David and Ed were checking out all the good fishing spots and decided which lake they would fish that afternoon and Ed's wife, Marsha, was looking out for a nice lake to buy a house on this summer. I was just looking and taking pictures. After we flew over Klinger Lake in Sturgis, we turned back west and flew right over Grass Lake where Jeffrey and Nikki's house is. I got some good shots. Theirs is the great big one with the dirt yard (it's new so they haven't had a chance to plant a lawn yet).



I had never ridden in a helicopter before, but I love to fly. It's not as loud or shaky as you'd think. In fact, it was quieter than most of the commuter planes out of South Bend. We wore headphones with microphones to talk to each other and we could hear Ed and airport control talking to each other. You don't have to duck or run when you approach it and it won't suck you in and cut your head off. In fact, it didn't even blow my hair around much. If I had millions of dollars at my disposal, I'd totally learn how to fly and buy one. You don't have to file flight plans and can pretty much go anywhere. You also don't realize how fast you are going. Ed and Marsha fly down to Indy for day trips pretty often and it only takes a little over an hour to get there. I'm not sure what kind of gas mileage a helicopter gets, but then again, if I had millions of dollars I wouldn't care!

Oh, and if you ever have millions of dollars and buy a helicopter, please give me a ride. It's really fun!

Love, K10

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm totally jealous!

Sus said...

. . . but not a real green dress, that's cruel.

Sorry, I can't not hear Barenaked Ladies when looking at your title.

Kristen said...

You may be the only one who actually "gets" the title, Sus. BNL are among my all-time favorites!

. . . maybe a nice Chesterfield or Ottoman.

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!!! I’m totally jealous. I told Dan, when you sent me the text msg, and he wanted to know why you got to go. I think he was jealous too! If I had a helicopter, I would take you for a ride : )

Oh, and make sure that when you get the million – it’s gotta be tax free!

Christina

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen,
The BNL song traveled through my head as soon as I read your blog title! Nice!

Love, Lolo

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures you took. Can you send me some? Sometimes I really mist the Indiana scenery.

Dad